Saturday, June 16, 2012

Familiar Faces

Will meeting new people always feel like the first day of college?
In new places I find new faces. Yet these faces are the same. I have seen that smile before. No, it is not that your face looks like someone back home, it is just that your face is clothed in the same wiley grin as the last person to whom I was introduced. Don't be alarmed, I clothe myself with the same smile. The "Hi, how are you? I don't know you're name but we are about to engage in a very surface level conversation of which I just had with five people before you. You don't know this is all going through my head, because I just told you where I live and what I do. And because I am thinking all of this I wont remember your name when you depart in five seconds to go serve the volleyball."
I enjoy meeting people. But I don't enjoy just meeting people. Rather than spit a few facts to me about your life and walk away, I would choose to engage in a deeper conversation and get familiar with a little chunk of your soul. This way I could have more of a true and engaging association with you when we walk past each other in the dining hall. What is that persons name? Where did they say they were working? Versus I wonder how her mother is doing? What came of the phone call to her grandmother?
Yet I am aware that our culture, our age group does not function this way.
I wonder if I could be counter cultural...

No comments:

Post a Comment