Monday, June 18, 2012

Monsters Under the Bed

I have never met a man who takes a toilet more seriously. Today I met my boss; a tall-beer-bellied-white bearded-toilet hugging-respectful-slapstick humor fan of a boss, D.B. I couldn't imagine learning a more respectful way to go about cleaning the shower floor. D.B. has a way of instilling honor in the most lowly of tasks.
How can I feel so engaged when he is explaining how to correctly disinfect a sink?

I am a team leader, along with 7 other girls. A team leader is assigned three housekeepers-4 to a team-and works in a designated set of buildings all summer. I am assigned to a stretch of houses along the beach front. Wednesday I will learn who is officially on my team.

Today we sat through 4 hours of lecture I like to call "elite hospitality for dummies". After lunch we were thrown in to cleaning a set of houses along the beach front. It was a little hectic because we didn't have our official teams or assignments yet, but we managed. I am curious how fast we will be turning rooms over by the end of the summer. Today feet were expectantly dragging.

My excitement grew exponentially today as I met and worked alongside about 10-15 international students. They are all a part of the Camp America program and were selected randomly to work here at Camp of the Woods. Although it presents a language barrier between Poland, Russia, Ukraine and the U.S. there in lies the opportunity to cross cultures, take on challenges and work on my patience. They are very willing to learn, friendly, young and interested in the culture.
I spent a while talking to Lukas, he is 23, and just arrived here from Poland three days ago. His English was ok but is getting better by leaps and bounds as he is forced to communicate in such a way. I had fun explaining the multiple meanings of "engaged", the difference between "whatever" and "never mind" and learning how to say "good morning" and "how are you" in Polish. I feel so weird speaking Polish.

I wouldn't want any other job here.

No comments:

Post a Comment