Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Change Over

Between me and the international students I feel a wall that I pray is broken down.
Before I left for camp I prayed God would ready my heart for what I would encounter while at camp. He kept bringing me to passages that were clearly teaching me "You come last." I felt him teaching me the importance of servanthood, and I was a little confused because I thought I understood that.

God has been revealing to me ways I can practice being a servant leader. We have been working for three days now, learning how to clean toilets, scrub showers, make beds with hospital corners and work together. Each day has brought new challenges and I reflect on my actions each night while lying in bed and wonder what I could have done better. It is hard because of the language barrier, I try very hard to not boss the students around, treat them with respect and let them know we are both on the same level, we just may have trouble understanding each other.
After sitting through a leadership seminar today I learned the qualities of a good leader are brokenness, uncommon communion, and radical obedience. It is one thing to sit through a seminar, it is another to be beach front delegating the rooms that need to be completed before 12 o'clock.

My daily prayer, rather, my hourly prayer is "God, I submit myself and my job to you. I rely on you for guidance and I trust your hand. I rely on you for strength. May I be your loving kindness to these students. May nothing but respect, trust, honesty and authenticity be the language with which I speak to them."

No comments:

Post a Comment