Thursday, September 20, 2012

Polish Ban




June and empty pockets
Led my ready hands to work
My summer months spent at a camp
Housekeeping, the thrilling perk

Across the globe they traveled
Squinting beneath American sun
The camera as their ready eye
Ten polish students trained by my arm

A sponge to clean the counter
A stick that sweeps, not “brooms”
The dream of a lovely American wife
Explaining grammar, enjoying the moon

On Wednesday Radek changed sheets
I kneeled while scrubbing the tub
The daily battle to complete maid service before one PM
His challenging inquiries chaffed me to the nub

Camp’s policy on alcohol
Unacceptable, forbidden fruit
His face upturned in a sour bite
Pondering delicious surge of the prohibited brute

On Sunday travel reigned abroad
Of news and guilty feet
Refusal to obey a simple restriction
Due to appetite carried over seas

Local liquor purchase under dim stars
For thirsty girls deemed legal youth
Bringing Polish customs and disregard
Under the sky of red white and blue

Four hours and three packed suitcases later
I was robbed a proper goodbye

No comments:

Post a Comment