Thursday, November 8, 2012

Americanism



What have I been doing with my mind, so as to idly sit by and not think for myself? I have been allowing others to make decisions for me and refusing to take the time to learn necessary information so as to knowledgably contribute to society. I refuse to let this happen anymore. After this 2012 election, the first election I was alive for where I could vote, I decided not. I decided to NOT take advantage of my rights. I decided to NOT thrive in the overarching pride of Americans freedom. I decided to swallow the excuse of ignorance; that I did not know enough about the candidates in order to feel comfortable claiming my opinion. I was, in fact, opinionless, and proudly flaunted that. What shallow short sighted girl am I to think that my contribution is worthless? Why would there be novels of history proving life giving sagas and brow beaten heroes, if my place is truly insignificant. I feel I have done a disservice to my country and myself.

I refuse to allow this ignorance, this idleness to poison my mind further. Last night, after the election was over and Obama took the win, I watched his victory speech. I will formulate my own opinion about our president. I will become informed about his policies. I will be faithful to the freedom my fellow countrymen have suffered, served and suffocated for. Freedom is dreamed of, sought after and fought for but its unbound ropes remain uninheritable. 
Americanism: a liberating, invigorating, intimidating choice. I choose to be an American.

No comments:

Post a Comment